Drastic transformation processes will be necessary in the coming period, according to the scientific findings of the IPCC, to avert the unprecedented anthropogenic climate, biodiversity and sustainability crisis. For this reason, the coalition sees it as its duty, above and beyond that given in the Higher Education Act, to provide fellow students with an opportunity to participate in an informed way in a broad range of courses from the current fields of action of the ecological justice movement. For the coalition, this includes raising awareness of issues and teaching theory in lectures and discussions, as well as strengthening forward-looking behaviors in workshops and other event formats.
The goal of the Department of Ecology and Climate Justice is thus, on the one hand, to establish a dialogue with students with regard to a sustainable and resource-conserving approach to the environment. On the other hand, it would like to maintain contact with the student union and the university in order to be able to realize potential restructuring measures within the framework of hybrid forms of teaching, which are also in the spirit of an environmentally friendly awareness, as well as to support ecological goals in all university matters. Concrete projects are mentioned below:
1. impulses for a more responsible behavior
- Organization of workshops, clothing swap parties, traffic circle events for the exchange of seedlings or repair tools
- Development of a climate-friendly nudging campaign
- Offer lectures on the future viability of ecologically and socially compatible production, consumption and utilization of food or resource and waste management
- Opening of gift and exchange shelves
- Implementation of an ecological-social freshman week
- Implementation of sustainable teaching
- Organization of actions and competitions on the topic of sustainable tips in everyday life
- Design of flyers for an environmentally conscious everyday life
2. strengthening of a more ecological university operation
- Bringing together all status groups in discussion formats to share the status of sustainability efforts at the university
- Leading discussions with student services and the university to achieve sustainable infrastructure in new buildings
- Participate in conferences and meetings for constructive exchange (Giessen Climate Council, Sustainability Commission, Eco-State Asten Conference)
- Advancement of campus greening (e.g. raised beds)
- Participation in excursions of farms of the Studierendenwerk or which serve the university for research purposes (Gladbacherhof, Oberer Hardthof)
3. continuation of long-term projects:
- Supervision of the prototype student community garden “Paradieschen”.
- Reduction of plastic packaging in the refectories (especially coffee to go cups) and expansion of a deposit system instead of disposable plastics
- Installation of collection boxes for cell phones, power supply units, etc. (NABU, insect protection fund)
Furthermore, we would like to cooperate with local initiatives and local groups and build bridges to green and sustainable engagement in civil society.
We would be happy if you contact us if you have any questions and/or are interested in our projects!
Lara, Max, Amin, Luisa 😊